History of the Mayor’s Office
This must be the oldest official building in the Seychelles. It was built at the turn of the twentieth century when Seychelles was on the threshold of becoming a separated colony, having been ruled together with Mauritius as a British protectorate since 1814. With the appointment of the first governor Ernest Bickham sweet-Escott (1857-1941) in 1903, it was evident that administration infrastructures had to be created in which the bureaucratic affairs of the colony could be directed. Like most buildings constructed at that time, its design was dictated by the nature of the tropical climate, hence the skirting verandah all around the rectangular building.
Its pedestrian simplicity is offset by the ornamental ironwork of the balustrade and staircase. The basket-handle arches with study wooden doors typify the aesthetic concerns of the Edwardian period.
During the latter half of the 20th century the building housed the magistrate’s court, offices of the now defunct Victoria city council, accommodated the Survey Department, and the National Library. At the beginning of the 21st century the National History museum before it was supplanted by the court of Appeal.
Yes, many verdicts of history have been pronounced in this building. Even today…